Wednesday, December 8, 2010

For the Daughters..

I don't have time to go too deep on this topic, but I wanted to link to a great post over at "Dorothy Surrenders" and drop a quick note of thanks.

http://dorothysurrenders.blogspot.com/2010/12/never-cross-dame.html

Dame Helen Mirren gives a wonderful thank you speech for the Sherry Lansing Leadership Award and talks about the role of women in film and in life.  It's a wonderful 6 minutes.

But on the larger scale it made me grateful for all of the women (and men) who have worked so hard on behalf of my daughters, whom they have never met.  Because of these women my daughters can go to college, pick a degree of their choice, get a job, vote, own property, wear ants to work, stay at home, run a company, report the news, cure cancer, teach at the highest levels, get elected, serve in the military, and a countless list of other things that my mom was not allowed to do.


AI have studied politics, economics, and have lived outside the United States enough to know how easy most of my life has been, simply because I was born a man.  I can write my name in the snow and do anything else, at least try anything else in my life and no one bats an eye.  My daughters, except for maybe the snow thing, can now do the same.  It won't be as easy as it should be, but, because of brave, dedicated, and rebellious women who went before them, the paths have been open.

Thank you.

4 comments:

David said...

Amen to that; I stand with you, humbled by their efforts and accomplishments that so many have benefited from.

TemptingSweets99 said...

I'm grateful for all the people who've paved the way for me to do all that I can do, not just as a woman but a human being. Great post.

Cheeky Minx said...

As a girl, as a woman, as a feminist, I couldn't agree more.

Words can barely express the gratitude I feel, the connection I feel to the women before me, to those of my blood, to the others that have shaped our history and everyday.

Beautiful post...

Drenchxoxo said...

Wonderful tribute. I mirror all the comments above.