Wednesday, December 21, 2011

TMI - Holiday Cheer


This time of year there are so many holidays and celebrations that overlap, which is why it is called Holiday Season.

1. What will you be celebrating? If it isn’t a commonly known holiday or celebration (i.e., Christmas, winter solstice, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa) briefly tell us about it.

We are celebrating my brother's birthday, my wife's niece's birthday (boy, did she grow up cuter than I expected, and smart too, and not a single felony conviction, we are so proud) and Christmas.  We have a blend of various Christian faiths, some of them waning, a couple of athiests who send their kids to church, and a brother-in-law who thinks he's God.  I hope he's wrong. 


2. What’s your favorite Christmas or holiday tune?

Hands down, no questions...



I like it for the words, the sentiments of going home to 'faithul friends" in a world where few are to be found.  I love the harmony's and it's in my range and I can sing either part.  I love it, as I listen to it now, brings tears to my eyes as it alwasy does.    The album from which it comes, "A Christmas Together" is one of my all time favorites.

I love Christmas music.  I love both secular and religious songs and I start itching to play it as soon as the Halloween candy is eaten, however, to honor my dearly departed mother, I don't start playing it until after the Thanksgiving feast is finished.  Then Christmas can begin.

If anything will save my troubled soul, it will be music, and Christmas music seems to soothe mainy ills.



On Christmas Day I will be singing in my church choir and, for a little while, all will be right in the world.

3. If you are giving or receiving gifts this holiday season: - I LOVE SHOPPING FOR PRESENTS, yet my Scrooge of a family (on both sides) has stopped exchanging gifts between adults.  I love finding something that matches the needs, or wants, of another person and seeing them light up when they realize that they needed it after all.


- What’s the gift you most want? - For small gifts, I love getting books or movie that someone has picked out just for me, something that they love and think I will love too.  I like getting clothes and ties from my kids, hand made signs or trinkets that barely survive the walk home from school.  My favorite gift, in a twisted way, was a can of peanuts becaue it means that your brother (You know who you are) ran out of time or money, or both, and went to the old stand-by.

- What do you think is the best gift you are giving? - I'm getting my daughter a phone (I think) as a reward for getting her grades up way higher that we expected this semester, my wife is getting some jewelry she's had her eye on, and, though it's not a surprise, we are all going to see "Wicked" on stage.  We know, and sing, all the songs everytime we get in the car.  That will be my favorite.

4. If you could spend this December holiday season anywhere, where would that be? - I would love to go to a long-term beach vacation where there are mountiains nearby, maybe New Zealand or Fiji.  I love the ocean, love swimming and water sports, but would be in heaven to have hiking and secluded forests and the call of wild animals nearby as well.

5. Your family has announced that the holiday celebration & get-together will be at your home. You think to yourself:
a. Yes! Finally…the more the merrier.
b. I don’t have enough room for all of you, but let’s rent a hall and you all get hotel rooms.
c. Over my dead body, I don’t want you freaks in my house.
d. Hmm…I wonder if it’s too late to book a flight to anywhere, leaving on Christmas eve?

B!! - I love having guests, making the big dinners, and having the house full, but my little house is already full.  As long as you find somewhere else to sleep, come on over for dinner!  Of course, many of you reading this have already been invited for a sleep over, but we may have to make different arrangements.

6. Have you ever given a fruit cake as a Christmas gift or a gift at all? Do you even like fruit cake?

Fruit Cake was invented as a biological weapon in WWI and only morphed into a "gift" when the Allies realized it was too heavy to fire in existing artillery.  Smaller brick sized portions then were distributed for use in construction projects.  A soldier, trying to be funny, wrapped one up and gave it to his prisoners and a holiday tradition was born.

Bonus:  Share with us one of your holiday traditions.

My parents did not like the "mad dash" to the tree where "Christmas" was over in 5 minutes or less.  We always had to get up, make our beds, get dressed, and gather by the living room doors where my dad would  peek in to see if Santa had arrived yet.  After the stocking and a few presents were done, we always had a huge breakfast with one of the families from our street.  We made Christmas last all day.  It was a nice way to wake up.


Go elf yourself! :D

1 comment:

V said...

Great answers! I have the exact same tradition you describe in your bonus answer. We space it out to make it last all day! Thanks for sharing!